today:
yesterday:
Total:

Local News

Election workers continued counting thousands of ballots from around Orange County on Wednesday, Nov. 7, and the apparent winners of Irvine’s mayor’s race and one of two council seats were unchanged. But, the second- and third-place vote getters flipped at some point, replacing Carrie O’Malley with Farrah N. Khan as the likely winner.

Mayor Don Wagner held a comfortable lead in his reelection bid and Anthony Kuo had the most votes of the 12 council candidates.

Kuo said Wednesday he’s pleased with the early results and thinks voters appreciated the fact he grew up in the city and wants to preserve the quality of life residents enjoy.

Kuo, 36, handles communications for the Orange County Auditor/Controller. He’s younger than the current council members, but he noted that he’s been on the Planning Commission for eight years and knows Irvine issues inside and out.

“This generation, myself and those younger, understand you’re supposed to volunteer with nonprofits, you’re supposed to have some aspect of public service,” he said.

“I looked around and I thought, I know the issues, I know the players, I’m in a unique position to be able to solve the problems – if not me, then who?”